Monday, May 24, 2010

Class is in Session


My Art & Technology class at Wentworth began last Tuesday, so far it's interesting! From what I can tell from the lectures, the overall objective is to study art and technology in the past few decades, mainly during the postmodern era (which may or may not have already ended).

I'm still trying to understand how they are related but I have a basic understanding with Da Vinci's drawings and the 1902 film "A Trip to the Moon." Both have an artistic feel to them which helped us at the time understand "out of this world" subjects.

As you can tell from the image above I am fascinated by robots, particularly humanoids; however, anything with an electronic brain intrigues me. I came to Wentworth to study Computer Engineering to better understand these machines and to hopefully work on one. This class is touching upon this subject which sounds fun to me.

I'm looking forward to the field trips, particularly the Axiom in Boston. From looking at their website, it immediately reminded me of a PBS telivision show that I've come to love over the years, "Scientific American Frontiers." MIT is frequently showcased with their fantastic Media Lab, I hope some of their work is showcased this summer!

The video below is one of my favorite episodes of the show which features the Kismet robot discussed in class, as well as many others. I highly suggest you watch! (Wait for the ad to finish, it's worth it).



No comments:

Post a Comment